Friday, 24 August 2012

The Astonishing Spider-Man


Browsing around the market the other day and you know what I saw? You don't? Come on, I'll give you three Guesses...

Still don't know?

It was The Astonishing Spider-Man issue #71! Horray!

I remember I used to buy comic books when I was a kid, and I knew I was for a looooong wait at the post office, so I thought, what the hell, let's waste £3 on it.

Putting the whimsical humour and the fact that it was oddly well written aside; when I got back to my house to put it away, I drew out one of my older Spider-Man comics. The last one I had bought, actually.

To think that after 13 years, they only moved forward 30 issues?
It's nice, and kind of odd, to see how much has changed (granted, it has been over 200 issues of The Amazing Spider-Man.) Venom has a new face, J. Jonah Jameson is the mayor of New York and... Actually, that's about it. Oh yeah, Ben Reily is no longer Spider-Man anymore, but I'm sure you all already knew that, (Who? Ben Reily?! Who's that?!) Ben Reily was Spider-Man when I was a kid, I never had Peter Parker like the rest of you.

Ah, how things change, how colours invert.
Actually, I'm quite surprised how much I liked Anti-Venom. When I had first heard about him I didn't think much, but he's actually a very refreshing and likeable character. What I don't like however, is whoever is the new Venom, (More specifically, I think that the artist who drew that comic, taken from Venom's own series was horrifically bad.) That is, the old symbiote Venom now has a new host, but he pales in comparison to the classic Eddie Brock/Venom combo, (not that I have knowledge past sentiment enough to actually judge. But Eddie Brock was always kind of... funny, and you knew he was a good guy underneath, the modern Venom seems a bit more Carnage-eqsue, and his loathing for Spider-Man seems to have been a bit Flanderized.)

'"Seem's,'Madam? Nay, it is. I know not 'seems.'"
All in all, the plot was surprisingly strong, (who know... for a comic book...) Except end part the part they took from Venom's series, (I really should have mentioned, the book contains three individually published comics, The Amazing Spider-Man vol. #664, The Amazing Spider-Man vol. #665 and Venom #3.) 

One thing I didn't get however, was this:



No comments:

Post a Comment